Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Some pictures of this fall




Here are some photos of this fall. Most have been taken on top of the Blue Ridge Turnpike between Blue Ridge, VA and Buchanan, VA.











Witch-hazel. This is a neat flower because it only blooms in October through December. If you scratch the bark, it smells just like the stuff you can (could?) get from the pharmacy. While I was taking this picture, another car parked beside me and two couples went to the open area that had a view of the valley. One of the men came back to the car as I was collapsing the tripod and asked what I was taking pictures of. I told him that if he wanted to impress the ladies, he should point out the witch-hazel, which I showed him.



Why are fall flowers either white or purple-ish? This looks like Japanese knotweed to me.












There are lots of very healthy looking lichen this year in spite of the drought. The mountains must be stubbing the toes of the clouds and getting more rain than we are in the valleys.

No comments:

Post a Comment